Welcome to my Blog!

Life is Grand. Life is Random. Life Hurts. Life Comforts. Life Gives. Life Takes. Life Loves and You're Not Alone nor Lost

Love The Rambler








10.18.2015

Peas n Greens - My take on a southern delight

Image result for Black eyed peas and greensI was running late-as usual. But shoot! I needed something for the Gospel Choir Party that could cook while I was gone to school with little intervention, oh great, and I forgot to soak the black eyed peas overnight, great-I'm dead.

Ok SOooo sometimes in our mistakes we actually realize something even better! That's how I feel about this 'Peas and Greens' recipe! It was a fabulous mistake!   So this was my attempt at reconciling greens I couldn't baby all day and peas I had no time to cook. I ended up buying a few cans of already cooked black eyed peas and turned this into an amazing side dish/soup (depending on how much liquid you put in it)   It's SUPER healthy and omits the pork for any of you kosher rollers.

This makes a large family portion size for about 6-8+ (crock pot sized)- if you have a large potluck or something to go to I'd double it for a large aluminum pan size. If you are single or just a few- I'd halve it. It freezes and saves great too if you have extra! It can be its own meal, a side or a soup. A friend pours it over cornbread hey hey!

1-2 lb Chopped Nitrate Free whole meat Turkey Bacon (or real bacon- I just like this kind, I DON'T recommend the minced cheap turkey bacon, but its ok if you must. The whole meat one is often found in healthy sections of Vitamin Cottage/Sprouts/Whole Food type spots. I have also done a chopped up smoked turkey leg if you have it)
2 Can Organic canned black eyed peas (or pre-cooked dried ones you've gotten tender)
1-2 Large Bunches of Collard Greens (wash well and take off the stem/ chopped up-remember they look like A LOT but they cook down to almost nothing)
2-3 T. Beef Bouillon or use only 6 cups beef broth in pot (I love Better Than Bouillon brand jars in the bullion/broth section of the store- its a magic concentrated flavor punch)
2 can organic diced fire roasted tomato
3-4 T. Corn Starch fully whisked with a few tablespoons water
4-6 Fresh Garlic Cloves pressed
1 lg onion chopped
2-4 T. Olive Oil 
Black Pepper
Fresh parsley chopped 
Salt to taste 

In a small pot or small crock pot add 1 T. Beef Bouillon, about 8-12 cups water and bring to a boil. Stir in about a half of a chopped onion and 2-3 garlic minced and chopped greens.  Simmer covered for about 2-4 hours or until leaves are softened on med after boiling.  I like the crock pot because I don't have to keep an eye on it. If you use a pot just set timers to check on it every hour and make sure there is PLENTY of water in the pot (at least an inch above green line). If you are using a turkey leg you want to put it in this pot and pull off meat afterwards for the next step.

In lg pan saute olive oil and chopped bacon. Save some crispy bacon for topping if you like on side, the rest doesn't need to be crispy. Add in onions, garlic, for about 3 more minutes, combine greens and broth, strained canned peas, canned tomato, and remaining bouillon (2T), onion and garlic(3 cloves).  Stir well and let simmer about 5 minutes. Add in the well mixed cornstarch and water mix and whisk at boiling point. If the soup is not thick enough to your linking simply do more mixture and repeat until desired thickness.  Stir in fresh chopped parsley and serve in a bowl as a soup with extra topped bacon. MMMMmmmm




No comments:

Post a Comment